Sensei Steve wrote: I discovered Kyokushin Karate
by chance, after I have practiced Judo and Shotokan Karate for about two years.
When I was 16, I moved to the city of Sibiu, Romania for school and I found Kyokushin Karate at the CFR club. I joined immediately, very eager to get a gi and learn. Every Friday, there was full-contact fighting being practiced. I have never sparred with contact, so I was in a big surprise when all started and I was being kicked and punched with power by a blue belt in his 50’s. This was all done without protective equipment at that time, so bare-knuckles and shins.
- Because I realized that after 2 years of other karate training, I was weak and I could not fight!
- Because repeating and yelling OSU! it felt like a newfound superpower!
- Because I am competitive and I like to push myself!
- Because every class was a challenge!
- Because everyone was training very hard, sweat and blood were a normal thing, yet we were all happy and friends with each other.
- Because I wanted to become a black belt!